Beijing: As part of preventive measures, to stop the spread of coronavirus, China will not hold any major international sporting events for the rest of 2020. The government said on Thursday, due to this, there will be a potential blow to the likes of Formula One and tennis.
The sports authority of Shanghai recently said it was offered two Formula One races this year, and several tennis tournaments in China which are on the WTA’s proposed calendar.
“Except for Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic test events, and other important events, in principle, no other international sports events will be held this year”, said in a statement by China’s highest sporting authority, General Administration of Sport. It did not particularize which sports events will be hit, but the official Xinhua news agency said that, “lots of international sport events will be affected”.
In a revised schedule, China was earmarked to host a number of tennis tournaments this year that includes the WTA Wuhan Open in October- the central city where the pandemic originated.
However, the future of Wuhan Open and season-ending WTA Finals, along with the prestigious ATP Shanghai Masters is uncertain and highly doubtful.
The Chinese Super League football season was due to commence in the month of February, but was held at bay because of the pandemic.
But the Chinese Football Association announced that CSL will likely resume on July 25 under a different format, where two groups will be made and the 16 teams will be split into these two groups, and it will be held in two cities to stop any further infectious spreading.
One group will play in the northeastern city of Dalian, and the other one in the eastern city of Suzhou.
It marks the return of the Chinese Basketball Association competition last month- the first major league, back in action after the coronavirus outbreak in the country. CSL games will take place behind closed doors.